Monday, May 21, 2007

Waking Visions

I opened my eyes and immediately shut them again. The light was blinding and it made my head hurt. A thought struck me like a thunderbolt and I sat straight up and opened my eyes. “Jacen.” I exclaimed out loud. It was then I noticed that Wedge and Gavin were standing in the corner of the room and the room I was in was the medical centre. I looked at Wedge. “I’m gonna stop coming to training. Every time I do I wind up in here.”
He smiled, “It’s not my fault. I swear!” Gavin stepped forward, “You were out cold over the controls of the simulator. What happened?”
I held my hand up to my head, the details of what had seemed so important moment ago were slipping away. “I don’t… I can’t remember.” Wedge gave me a worried look. “You must have been in there too long. It was over half an hour.” I shook my head. “No way, I’ve flown for longer than that! No, it was something else… The temple… and… Oh my word! Jacen!”
I tried to stand up but my legs wouldn’t let me. “Sorry Jaina, we gave you a sedative. You were going crazy a few minutes ago.”
“What? But I have to get back to the Temple! Wedge! I have to go!”
Gavin shook his head, “Sorry Jaina, but you have to stay here until we get you checked out.”
“But Colonel! Jacen’s in trouble! He needs me!”
But Gavin just shook his head again. “Sorry but even if you didn’t need to be checked out you can’t go anywhere until that sedative wears off.” I groaned and lay back down then sat up as I remembered something else.
“The final Wedge… What happened?”
Wedge was already half way out the door, he paused and gave me a sad look. “You blew up Jag’s ship with some spectacular flying.”
“But-” I prompted him. I knew there had to be more.
“But… Jag released rockets just before yours hit him.” Wedge turned away from me. “You flew straight into them. It must have been then that you lost consciousness. But we had to count it. It was a draw. Sorry, Jaina.”
I let out a groan and lay back down; my head was beginning to hurt again.

About five minutes later I heard the door open, I tried to move my legs but they were still numb so I sat up instead. Jagged Fel was standing in the doorway.
“Oh.” Was all I managed to say.
“Hello Jaina. I hope you feel better.” He said with that accent of his.
“I’m all right I guess. I suppose I should say congratulations.” I had to admit, it hurt that he had beaten me again.
“Why?” he asked walking over. “It is me who should be congratulating you. You did beat me after all.”
“No I didn’t. Your rockets blew me up.”
“But after you had blown me up.” He sat on the end of my bed. “Besides, it does not matter. I have come to ask for a rematch. You would not have flown into them had you been well.”
“There’s nothing wrong with me!” I exclaimed, “apart from the fact that I can’t walk, that is.” I looked at him, the thought of a rematch sounded good. I knew that I could fly the way I had been again, but then I remembered Jacen and I shook my head. “Another time perhaps, but I need to go back to the temple. Jacen needs me.”
His eyes held mine for a second longer than was normal and I felt something move inside me. “That is a pity. I would not like this to be hanging in the air for a long time.”“Soon, I promise.” And I patted his arm. He took it and placed it on the bed. “You need rest. I will see you tomorrow at the award ceremony. Then you will leave. That I know.” He turned and looked at me one more time before heading out the door and I tried without success to go to sleep.

4 Comments:

Blogger Dark Jedi Kriss said...

Too bad you couldnt give him a rematch. BUt there is always time later.

3:01 am  
Blogger Darth Vader said...

I wonder how well you will do the next time around.

3:04 am  
Blogger Skywalker said...

You'll get him next time.

3:07 am  
Blogger Darth Inferna said...

You'll fail, like you did this time... Poor thing.

3:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home